Welcome back to our winter visitors!
Many of the snowbirds will be coming back to our city soon. If your home has been vacant for a while, you will want to do a self-inspection to be sure that nothing went wrong. What is the first item you check when you arrive at your house?
Vacant homes can develop issue while you were gone. For example, a potential plumbing issue is sediment buildup inside the water supply lines. Although not usually found in newer homes, galvanized steel water supply lines in older homes are common. Pipes left to sit with water inside can create more and more sediment from oxidization. Even a very small drip can turn into a flooded bathroom.
You don’t want to find out your home is flooded after you return home
Another thing that can cause floods is disconnecting refrigerators connected to water and moving out washing machines. Old plumbing that has not been used for a long time can spring leaks.
First things first
The day you arrive back you should do a walk-through. Turn on all the lights, run water out of each spigot, and make sure the stove worked, and turn on the air conditioner or evaporative cooler. Don’t get caught up in the aesthetics of needing new paint or moving your sofa. Always do a run thru and check first!
List of items to check
- Walk around the house and turn on every light. Flip all the switches!
- Run water and check for leaks under sinks. You can put a paper towel down and check in a few minutes for any moisture
- Test all appliances, including fridge, stove, microwave, and don’t forget your coffee maker! Also, run garbage disposal and exhaust fans
- Check garage door
- Open and close all doors
- Flush toilets and check exhaust fans in the bathrooms too
- Inspect ceilings, wall, and floors. You’re looking for any water damage or cracks that weren’t there before.
- Test heating and air conditioning. Did you make an appointment before you left to have your units checked and maintained? If not, do that now.
- Open and close windows
- Check your fuse box to make sure there were no shorts or fires.
Now that the walk thru is done and you’re satisfied you can look around and choose the one improvement you’ve always wanted but never got around to implementing. Like that new energy efficient air conditioner!